If you aren’t already familiar with PAAL, I’d like to bring that organization to your attention, particularly if you are a parent-artist or caregiver.
The acronym PAAL stands for PARENT ARTIST ADVOCACY LEAGUE (PAAL) for PERFORMING ARTS + MEDIA
PAAL is a national community, resource hub, and solutions generator for individuals with caregiver responsibilities and institutions who strive to support them.
PAAL is offering an online series for workplace and connection as well as a series of Broadway master classes and storytimes for you and your kids! Proceeds support the artists and the PAAL COVID Emergency Relief Fund.
Since the beginning of this year, I’ve had the opportunity to speak with several of the PAAL chief reps from across the country. In this episode I’m speaking with Pamela Campi Spee, the PAAL chief rep in Seattle.
Pamela Campi Spee is an AEA Stage Manager and mom to a wonderful daughter and excitable black lab. Pamela works primarily on musicals at regional theatres around the greater Seattle area. She loves new works, reading with her kiddo, and spending time outside as a family.
Our conversation took place on March 17, 2020 so we do talk about COVID 19 and the effect on parent artists and caregivers. Pamela talks about why she became involved in Seattle PAAL, her hopes for the future, the importance of conversation and questions, and more.
Please also see the recent issue of American Theatre magazine, which includes a series of articles under the heading Care for the Caregivers that was undertaken with the support and insight of the Parent Artist Advocacy League.
The feature article in this series, written by Rachel Spencer Hewitt, the founder of PAAL is titled: Work/Life Balance Is Everyone’s Urgent Business Now. She writes, “As we face the COVID crisis, our field has a chance to restructure itself around human needs. Caregivers can lead the way.”
ASBX INTERVIEWS WITH PAAL REPS:
- Erica Lee Haines from Nashville
- Garlia Cornelia Jones from NYC
- Marni Penning from DC
- Rachel Spencer Hewitt, founder of PAAL
- Lydia Milman Schmidt from Chicago
- Parent Artist Advocacy League Emergency Fund apply
- Parent Artist Advocacy League Emergency Fund donate
RELIEF FUNDS + RESOURCES:
- The Orange County Arts Commission Page has a long list of support resources for artists, arts industry workers, arts nonprofits, and art organizations whose livelihoods have been negatively affected by COVID-19. Check it out.
- Equal Sound Corona Relief Fund (Musicians)
- Durham Artist Relief Fund
- Durham Arts Council Artist Recovery Fund
- NC Artists Relief Fund
- Orange County Arts Relief Fund (NC)
- Chatham County Artist and Art-Worker Relief Effort (NC)
- Covid-19 Freelance Artist Resources
- Emergency Funds (All Art Forms)
This episode is brought to you by the Soapboxers, the official patrons of the Artist Soapbox. If you like these episodes and want more, get on the Soapbox! This episode was recorded at the ASBX home studio. Artist Soapbox theme music by Bart Matthews.
CONNECT AND FOLLOW!
Artist Soapbox on social media:
Instagram = artistsoapbox