About ASBX Live 2024
Capital Arts Theater Guild in partnership with Artist Soapbox presents:
ASBX LIVE: "Home Sweet Home"
February 24, 2024 at 7:00 pm
Theatre Raleigh Arts Center
Lobby Cabaret Theatre
Artist Soapbox is thrilled to partner with Capital Arts Theater Guild to present an evening of LIVE AUDIO DRAMA!
ASBX LIVE will be an evening of theatrical fun, featuring LIVE presentations of 2 original audio dramas, written by North Carolina writers and support performances by musicians, improvisers, and an MC! This live event will be recorded and released to the public in podcast form later in 2024.
Submissions: "Home Sweet Home"
Seeking original audio plays written by North Carolina writers.
- Submission Window: Aug 7-21, 2023
Artist Soapbox and Capital Arts Theater Guild invite North Carolina writers to submit a 20-25 minute audio drama script featuring up to four actors.
*Currently, ASBX Live is open to writers living in the following NC counties: Alamance, Chatham, Durham, Orange, and Wake.*
Two scripts will be chosen, rehearsed, and then performed in front of a live audience. The performances will be recorded and released to the public in podcast form later in 2024.
[Note: each audio play will be staffed with professional actors and production team (director, stage manager, foley artist).]
Selected writers will be paid $100 each.
The style and content are up to the discretion of the writer (see additional writing guidelines below). Script can be any genre. The theme for this event is ‘Home Sweet Home.’ Please write with SFX that will set the scene sonically anywhere that evokes senses of “home”.
- Please title your play, include character names and descriptions, and the setting as needed. You may format your script as you would a stage play, screen play, or BBC audio drama form: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/bbcradioscene.pdf
- Sound effects usually take the place of what we read as stage directions in theatre scripts. Please note them in the script as SFX. If you aren’t including SFX, then you aren’t writing for audio.
SAM: Another cold one, please, Sue.
SUE: You bet.
SFX: Bottle opener pops open glass bottle. Foaming beer poured into mug. Mug placed in front of Sam on the wooden bar top.
SAM: Thank you, kindly. Bottoms up.
- When writing for audio, it may be helpful to think of the sound effects as a scene partner for conveying information and dramatic action. The SFX will guide the sound designer in putting together the SFX needed to perform your piece.
- ASBX LIVE will be performed live on stage with Foley artists, actors, and musicians creating the sound effects and music. All script submissions should be ready to produce including direction for sound and music cues (written in the script as SFX, etc.) Sorry, but submissions cannot include usage of copyrighted music.
- The content and style is yours to determine.
- 4 actors only. Your script can feature up to 10 roles with actors double cast in distinctly different voice parts.
- You’ll receive bonus points for including the live audience as a character(s)
- Maximum 25 minute piece (please read your draft and time it to make sure that it meets the time limit and edit as necessary.)
- Please do not include any identifying personal information in your manuscript.
- PDF submissions are preferred.
- All submissions will be accepted via a Google form and sent anonymously to readers.
- Submission fee: $10 required donation
- Each script will be read and scored by multiple readers in a two-step process of selection.