About ASBX Live
Capital Arts Theater Guild in partnership with Artist Soapbox presents:
ASBX LIVE: "Bringing the Outside, Inside"
March 4, 2023 at 7:00 pm
Theatre Raleigh Arts Center
Lobby Cabaret Theatre
Artist Soapbox is thrilled to partner with Capital Arts Theater Guild to present an evening of LIVE AUDIO DRAMA!
ASBX LIVE will be an evening of theatrical fun, featuring LIVE presentations of 2 original audio dramas, written by North Carolina writers and support performance by Durham-based, Mettlesome Improv Troupe! This live event will be recorded and released to the public in podcast form later in 2023.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com with questions.
ASBX Live is supported by a grant from the Manbites Dog Theater Fund.
Artist Soapbox and Capital Arts Theater Guild are thrilled to announce the 2022 ASBX LIVE Selections!
Judy M. Dove (Lizard-Licked) is a playwright, director, and teaching artist. She has directed for the Raleigh Little Theatre, Forest Moon Theater, NRACT, WCPSS, Special Theatre Arts Raleigh, and has been an adjunct professor in the Meredith College Department of Dance and Theatre where she worked as a theatre teaching artist for the FuHsing Program from Taipei. She has written several plays for youth, based on NC history, which have been toured by the RLT Storytellers to Go! and two of her short plays were selected to be a part of the Goodly Frame Theatre’s ZoomFest 2020. Most recently, she received an Artist’s Support Grant from the United Arts Council of Raleigh and Wake County for which she has written a new full-length play. She is the recipient of the NCTC K-12 Theatre Educator Award, the Capital University Alumni Achievement Award, the United Arts Council of Raleigh/Wake County Business Support of the Arts Award in Arts Education, an Artsplosure Artists’ Residency at the Oyster House in Beaufort, and numerous awards for Excellence in Directing from the North Carolina Theatre Conference. Her play, Haiku, was selected for the 2021 Sips&Scripts/CATG New Works Festival. Memberships include Dramatists Guild of America (Associate), and the North Carolina Theatre Conference, for which she served on the Board of Directors for 13 years.
Ryan Vasconcellos (Domed) is a local theatre artist who is extremely excited to have his play selected for this opportunity. Recent acting credits include: "Chip" - 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee (RLT) and "Sonny" - In the Heights (RLT). Ryan can't wait to get started on this step in playwriting
Submissions: "Bringing the Outside, Inside" [SUBMISSION WINDOW FOR 2022 CLOSED]
Seeking original audio plays written by North Carolina writers.
- Submission Window: Aug 15-29, 2022
Artist Soapbox and Capital Arts Theater Guild invite North Carolina writers to submit a 20-25 minute audio drama script featuring up to four actors.
*Currently, ASBX Live is open to writers living in the following NC counties: Chatham, Durham, Orange, and Wake.*
Two scripts will be chosen, rehearsed, and then performed in front of a live audience. The performances will be recorded and released to the public in podcast form later in 2023.
Selected writers will be paid $100 each.
The style and content are up to the discretion of the writer (see additional writing guidelines below). Script can be any genre, but must be set outdoors. The theme for this event is ‘Bringing the outside, inside.’ Please write with SFX that will set the scene sonically anywhere in the out-of-doors.
- Please title your play, include character names and descriptions, and the setting as needed. You may format your script as you would a stage play, screen play, or BBC audio drama form: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/bbcradioscene.pdf
- Sound effects usually take the place of what we read as stage directions in theatre scripts. Please note them in the script as SFX. If you aren’t including SFX, then you aren’t writing for audio.
SAM: Another cold one, please, Sue.
SUE: You bet.
SFX: Bottle opener pops open glass bottle. Foaming beer poured into mug. Mug placed in front of Sam on the wooden bar top.
SAM: Thank you, kindly. Bottoms up.
- When writing for audio, it may be helpful to think of the sound effects as a scene partner for conveying information and dramatic action. The SFX will guide the sound designer in putting together the SFX needed to perform your piece.
- ASBX LIVE will be performed live on stage with Foley artists, actors, and musicians creating the sound effects and music. All script submissions should be ready to produce including direction for sound and music cues (written in the script as SFX, etc.) Sorry, but submissions cannot include usage of copyrighted music.
- The content and style is yours to determine.
- 4 actors only. Your script can feature up to 10 roles with actors double cast in distinctly different voice parts.
- You’ll receive bonus points for including the live audience as a character(s)
- Maximum 25 minute piece (please read your draft and time it to make sure that it meets the time limit and edit as necessary.)
- Please do not include any identifying personal information in your manuscript.
- PDF submissions are preferred.
- All submissions will be accepted via a Google form and sent anonymously to readers.
- Submissions are Pay-What-You-Can.
- Each script will be read and scored by multiple readers in a two-step process of selection.