It would be unusual for me to associate astrophysics with romantic comedy, but Allan Maule does in his new play, THE WEIGHT OF EVERYTHING WE KNOW, a romantic comedy about the kilogram changing mass.
In this episode, Allan talks about his approach to writing and researching a science-related rom-com, the structure of the play, the unexpected comfort that this genre offers in difficult times, and more.
Allan Maule is a Durham-based playwright and writer with more than twelve years of writing experience for the stage and digital media. Favorite productions of his plays include EverScape (NYC Fringe 2015 and Sonorous Road Theater), Two Late (Carrboro Arts Center 10×10 Festival), Tales and Fermentations (Seed Art Share), and Framing the Shot (Sonorous Road Theater). Allan also worked as a video game writer and voice director on the online RPG Fallen Earth and the serious games GE2050 and Uptick. Allan is a graduate of Duke University and holds a masters in performance studies from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Would you like to hear an online reading of THE WEIGHT OF EVERYTHING WE KNOW?
Please see the Seed Art Share website (https://seedartshare.org/) for information about the reading on May 9th at 7pm. Directed by Lorelei Canne. Featuring Areon Moebasher and Supriya Jaya Bores
ASBX episode: 040: HOW DO WE BUILD AUDIENCES FOR OUR WORK? PLAYWRIGHT ALLAN MAULE CONSIDERS MARKETING THEATRE IN THE TRIANGLE
RELIEF FUNDS + RESOURCES:
- The Orange County Arts Commission Page has a long list of support resources for artists, arts industry workers, arts nonprofits, and art organizations whose livelihoods have been negatively affected by COVID-19. Check it out.
- Equal Sound Corona Relief Fund (Musicians)
- Durham Artist Relief Fund
- Durham Arts Council Artist Recovery Fund
- NC Artists Relief Fund
- Orange County Arts Relief Fund (NC)
- Chatham County Artist and Art-Worker Relief Effort (NC)
- Covid-19 Freelance Artist Resources
- Emergency Funds (All Art Forms)
- Parent Artist Advocacy League Emergency Fund apply
- Parent Artist Advocacy League Emergency Fund donate
This episode is brought to you by the Soapboxers, the official patrons of the Artist Soapbox. If you like these episodes and want more, get on the Soapbox! This episode was recorded at the ASBX home studio. Artist Soapbox theme music by Bart Matthews.
CONNECT AND FOLLOW!
Artist Soapbox on social media:
Instagram = artistsoapboxFacebook =https://www.facebook.com/artistsoapboxpodcast/